Read Time: 3 min 35 sec
At TYME, our focus is to give you the tools and knowledge to spend less time getting ready and help you be empowered to achieve the styles you want. In the midst of all the changes happening in the world around us, we have more time to focus on our beauty routines, and the changes we have never had the time for ourselves before, but have always wanted to try.
In this transition of us spending more time at home what better time to evolve your hair care routine to be lower maintenance for when you are ready to venture into the world again?! We’re challenging you to wash your hair less(!) and come out of Corona Quarantine as the strongest, most confident you possible.
We know there is a transition period for your scalp to adjust the amount of oil production it creates, and this is completely normal! It’s part of the process of freedom from a daunting routine! Since you’re at home, we challenge you to embrace the transition. Take advantage of this time and think long term, #selfcare yourself into a more efficient schedule by not washing your hair every day.
30 Day Hair Washing Chart
X = days to wash your hair
We’re not asking you to jump in and go 7 days between washes right away! If you wash your hair every day now, try going every other day for a week. Once your hair and scalp get used to that (usually about a week process) work on extending your wash by one more day and stay there until your scalp gets used to it again. You'll be able to tell by the amount of oil your scalp produces.
Take the time you need, this calendar is a general guideline, and you may need to play around with the schedule for what works for you. If you need to stick on washing your hair every three days for more than two weeks, take your time! Allowing your scalp to adjust at a comfortable pace is key!
The goal of this process is to eliminate any factors that can make your scalp think it has to produce oils to compensate for the dryness. Below we have included tips to help make each step in your hair routine as simple as possible for you, so there is no guesswork!
- Before applying your shampoo, make sure your hair is soaking wet.
- Distribute shampoo from scalp to ends, really concentrating on the scalp If you’re using a mild cleansing shampoo like PREGAME, the more water you add as your shampooing the more later you will achieve.
- If you’re looking for an airy, weightless finish, shampoo twice.
- Lathering and allow the shampoo to activate in your hair for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Before applying your conditioner, while still in the shower squeeze hair out to get it as dry as possible to allow it to penetrate each hair strand thoroughly.
- Apply conditioner from scalp to ends, concentrating on the ends.
- Do not be afraid of the conditioner touching your scalp (especially if it is a lightweight formula like SHOWOFF) as this can play a big factor in your scalp over producing oils!
- Massage into hair and scalp, and allow it to nourish both for 2 to 5 minutes before rinsing.
- Use a lightweight thermal protectant.
- Remember that the products that you use on your hair after your shower can equally affect your scalp and hair health. We recommend Upstaged Thermal Protectant.
- If blow drying, we typically suggest waiting until your hair is 70% or 80% dry before drying
- BlowTYME Hair Dryer has three heat settings and two fan speed settings, so you can find the perfect combination for your hair needs.
- It is important to not over dry hair. Hydrated hair has volume, is strong, shines without looking greasy, and ultimately is SOFT. Whereas, over dried hair tends to feel rougher and have a matte appearance.
- If you like to air dry, one of our favorite hair hacks is to try just blow drying at the scalp. This will create lift at the scalp and will give your hair an overall more weightless feeling!
- Tips for air drying
Forgo the use of dry shampoo during this challenge (and hopefully long term, with the exception of extreme cases) Just like washing every day, dry shampoo strips your hair of the natural oils your scalp is naturally creating, which is exactly what we don’t want in this process. Using dry shampoo will backtrack all of the progress you have made!
After this 30 day challenge, you should find yourself able to go more days without washing your hair. Was your goal to go 4 days? Amazing! Was your goal 7 days? No problem, continue this calendar into month two and just keep extending your days between washes by one day until your scalp is ready. Why is extending your wash good to consider? Not only is it better for your scalp and hair health, but it is going to save you tons of time and product! Getting ready will take half the time on the days you aren’t washing and blow drying your hair, and if you practice this routine and use proper products, your hairstyles will follow suit. Your curls will last for days instead of just hours. Most of us here at TYME wash and style our hair once a week ;)For more tips and hair tutorials, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Pinterest.