Suns Out Buns Out: Easy Messy Bun Tutorial
Read Time: 2 min 32 sec
The summer heat has definitely made itself at home. Going out and feeling cute can be a challenge when sweat is the main ingredient of the season. At TYME we’re taking advantage of the opportunity, and pulling our hair UP with these perfect messy bun tutorials!
The art of the messy bun has been practiced for centuries, but we’ve mastered a few tried and true methods that can work for any hair length: the DIY ballerina bun, the perfectly unkempt bun and space buns! These messy buns are the perfect solution for any casual lounge aesthetic or even refreshing hair on an in between day. Gather your hair to the desired location on your head (top, crown, or nape of your neck) and we walk you through how to make the perfect messy bun.
View this post on Instagram
Don’t mistake this for a "perfect" sock bun! This bun is effortless only requires a ponytail. • Gather your hair at your preferred place with your dominant hand. • Using your non-dominant hand, rotate your makeshift pony around your pointer finger to make a twisted pony. (A tighter rotation will give you a tighter bun, while a looser one will give you a messier look.) • As you twist, start to form the donut shape until the entirety of your hair is completely looped. • Securing the look is as easy as popping a ponty tail around the bun. (If you’re going for a cleaner look, tuck your loose pieces in with a couple of bobby pins.)
The DIY Ballerina Bun
Don’t mistake this for a sock bun! This hair bun is effortless and only requires a ponytail, even for those trying to master how to do a short hair messy bun. Gather your hair at your preferred place with your non-dominate hand. Using your dominant hand rotate your makeshift pony around your pointer finger to make a twisted pony. A tighter rotation will give you a tighter bun, while a looser one will give you a casual, messy bun look. As you twist, start to form the donut-bun shape until the entirety of your hair is completely looped. Securing the look is as easy as popping a pony tail around the bun. If you’re going for a cleaner look, tuck your loose pieces in with a couple of bobby pins.
Products and tips to enhance your donut bun:
- If you have fine hair, sprinkle a touch of BigTYME or a root lift powder into the bulk of your hair for some added body! This will give your messy bun a fuller aesthetic AND give you better hold.
- Don’t forget how handy hairspray can be when trying to tame pesky flyaways!
- Hair Ties are a fun, femme addition to elevate your bun on days when you want to be the main character. ;)
- If you’re going for a top knot bun, consider adding a colorful or bulky clip to secure the hairs near the nap of your neck. It’s a touch of class they’ll never see coming!
- Add a bohemian flair by adding small braids to your pony before twisting it into your messy bun!
View this post on Instagram
Steps: - Put ponytail holder around three fingers - Loosely pull all hair back and up where you want your bun to sit - Slide thumb into ponytail holder - Pull ponytail holder over hair and stop slightly past halfway down the ponytail - Wrap hair around the ponytail holder - Bring ponytail holder back over the first loop and secure - Twist bun until you like the look of the shape - Wrap or tuck ends that are sticking out - Pinch and pull small sections of hair to loosen it from your scalp and make it more "messy" - Use BigTYME Root Lift Powder if you want more volume or texture
The Perfectly Unkempt Bun
There’s no need for spending hours trying to create that perfect messy bun any more, the team at TYME has decoded the method! Gather your hair at your ideal location with your non-dominate hand and your ponytail locked and loaded in the dominant hand. Place your ponytail against your scalp, but before you twist to secure that first loop, grab the bulk of your hair. Now twist and secure your bun with the ponytail! You may need to add a few extra loops to secure the bun, depending on your preference. Tuck any undesired loose ends into the ponytail. You quickly just gave yourself an effortless look that can easily be made and remade.
Products to enhance your messy bun:
- Scrunchies are a girls best friend. And when we say Scrunchie, we mean a dramatic scrunchie. You know what we mean!
- Using a texture building product, like BigTYME, will give your messy more grip and body.
- Go retro by leaving the bandana ties exposed on the top of your head for a pin-up style flair!
90’s hairstyles are making their way back into the main stream, which means we get to rock space buns whenever we want! Learning how to create space buns is super easy, too! Part your hair down the middle and apply the same methods above to each section, and voi-la you have perfectly messy and playful space buns! We especially love this look for those of us who want to rock our natural hair for a curly hair bun!
Products to enhance your space buns:
- We 100% suggest using BigTYME in each section of your hair for a fuller aesthetic AND better hold.
- Mismatched scrunchies, butterfly clips, you name it, it will enhance your space bun look!
Finishing Your Look
Buns are such a fun way to play with your style! Use a comb and SelfieTYME Hairspray to make either of these looks appear more professional. Another option is to add a touch of BigTYME Root Lift Powder and “washing” your hair with your fingertips to gain dimension in the pulled back locks.